Saturday, January 19, 2008

But that's not fair!

If I had a dollar for every time I heard one of my sweet little students whine "but Teacher that's not fair" I would have the money to buy the new car that I need or the cell phone, or a new townhouse! Unfortunately, they don't pay me the big bucks and all I get from the whining is irritable and an occasional headache!


What a week! I guess every first year teacher is bound to have a week that would drive them to quit. I should count my blessings that it took me this long to have the blessed event.
The week started off great. The kids were ready to learn and I had planned lots of great activities. To bad we didn't get to do them because they spent a lot of time this week with their heads down instead!


One of the contributing factors to the kids out of control behavior was the obscene coldness and snowfall. Normally I don't mind the cold and the snow falling but when it causes me to have 4 straight days of inside recess I soon wanted to pull my hair out and curse the weather! Needless to say I told the principal if he did not let them go outside I would go nuts. So yesterday, when they announced that it was warm enough to go outside I shouted "yes, yes, yes!" and my kids were asking to stay inside. I told them they all had to go outside. But teacher that is not fair. Get over it! Life is not fair!

As I was driving to school on Wednesday I smelled this really horrible stench and blamed it on the car in front of me. Then when I pulled into the parking lot and stopped my car I realized the smell was me and the smoke that was pouring out from underneath the hood was also me! Great. I went to school and forgot about it. I had bigger problems then a smoky car. Who was going to help me dry the tears of the four tantrums that were thrown that day? So after work I drove to the temple to get my share of "but that's not fair!" complaints out of my system. As soon as I pulled up the smoke started again! UGH!!!


After the temple, my roommates fiance, Chase looked at it from me. He told me that he thought it was the water hoses that has come undone and it was splattering on the engine. He filled me up with water and told me I should be fine driving to school in the morning.

So the next day I get up go to school, survive a few more tantrums, and go to call the auto mechanic and couldn't get the call to go through. Sweet. My cell phone had died for the 4th time in the last two months. Got to love LG! Ran to Verizon they gave me new phone of the same crappy model and set me on my way. By the time I get to the automotive shop my car is gushing antifreeze and Old Faithful was under my hood! They told me the same thing Chase did. It was a hose. They had to order the part. Jayson, Heidi, and Mae came to pick me up. I went to their house to relax and we went to Applebees for dinner.


The Mechanic called me yesterday and told me the part did not come in and my car will not be done until Monday. So now I am car less on a three day weekend and that's not fair!

6 comments:

heidizinha said...

so sweet! thanks for sharing your awful week!

Ashlee said...

you poor thing!! What can I do to make things better?

Jason and Kate said...

Joy, this is Kate (you know your old roomie). I"m so glad you blog. You have had a twist of bad luck, girlie! I hate car problems. Every time I have a car problem (even flat tires) I want a new one. IT just happened recently so I've looking.:)

Jenn Oldham said...

I agree! Life is NOT fair! BUmmer about your car!

Kris and Kally said...

I have one very horrible word to describe that week... HELL. Love you!

Amy Jorgensen said...

Hey Joy--If it makes you feel any better, I just found out that my van (120K miles -- held together by duct tape) needs a new catalytic converter (goodbye $900) -- this after I just spent $500 to get it to pass emissions, and put $300 worth of repairs into scott's car that is worth about $400 total :) I hate cars. And, don't get a razr, they are worse than LG phones. I"m on my 5th, but that is because Megan dumped soda on one and tossed another in the toilet. Thank heavens for insurance! Hang in there. We all have weeks that make us want to crawl under the covers and never come out (except to watch Lost, so we can be totally confused). I think the title of Lost is appropriate, since their job is to make sure their entire audience is Lost. I think they just sit around laughing at us sillies that continue to tune in, even though we have no idea what is going on. Hope next week is better (if nothing else, at least it is a 4 day work week). Amy